Prološko blato, besides being an area and nature of an extraordinary beauty, it also has a rich and valuable cultural heritage. In plain words, "blato" (mud) stands for the lake that through a great part of the year is covered with water, while for the rest of the year it is dry or there is wetland. Water comes to Prološko blato through the canyon Badnjevice, through the flow of Ričina, i.e. Suvaja, and from the numerous abysses inside Blato. In the course of the 20th century, as the riverbed of Jaruga, a river flowing from Blato, was widened and cleaned, in that manner was partially organized water drainage from Blato and from the upper part of the fields as well as their irrigation. Blato is a habitat and a hatchery of several fish species, as well as a home for many birds (herons, grebes, ducks, predatory birds...).
Roman and modern road coincide on the area of Berinovci, and due to rather poor excavations, it is thought that here might have been situated the ancient Bilubium/Bilubio, one of the settlements in the vicinity of Imotski that is known by its ancient name. As it could have been noticed on several places before, along the road there were usually developed the medieval cemeteries with stećaks, and so they were also developed in the eastern direction from this place, in the vicinity of hamlet Peza or close to a nearby hamlet Zovko.
On the south-eastern part of Prološko blato, on the steep and difficultly reachable hill "Grad", between the lakes of Mamić and Knezović, are situated a Roman and medieval settlement – both of them were probably used as a shelter (refuge, asylum) during the troubled times. In the direction of north from that place, above the lake of Galipovac, there is a big group of prehistoric tumuli – ancient tombs from the Bronze Age. On the northern side of Blato, above the cliffs of its deepest part in which there is always water, there is a prehistoric fortification above the Vrbina valley and the medieval cemetery. In the middle of Blato there is the island of Manastir with the remains of the Franciscan monastery and a little church, where the monks used to live from the end of the 15th or the beginning of the 16th century until 1715. During the last Venetian-Ottoman war the monks temporarily moved to Omiš, and then in 1717 they moved backwards, but that time they returned to Imotski where they soon started building the today's monastery of Saint Francisco.