Veljaci was mentioned for the first time as a village on the 26th of April in 1395 in the letter of the Bosnian king, Stipan Dabiša. Among other things, he donates to his daughter Stana our farm village in the land of Hum named Velijaci. In the 17th century the bishop from Makarska Lišnjić mentions the church (of Saint Ivana?) in Veljaci, but as a ruin.
A wooden hut used to serve as a church for decades, with a belfry on the oak tree. A new modern church of Saint Ilija the Prophet (24 x 13m) was built in 1958., in accordance with a project of the engineer brother Pijo Nuić. In the church yard there were several monuments, and in the garden there is a bronze statue of Saint Ilija, the patron of the parish. Inside the church there are stained-glass windows, rosette on the facade of the church and a big mosaic of Our Lady of Health (300 x 220 cm). The parish of Veljaci possesses a valuable Parish register of the baptized (1786-1808).